Dr. Shyam Babu Chandran
MBBS, MD(Med), DNB (Med), DM(NEURO), DNB(NEURO), MNAMS, CF (Mov.Disord), SCE(UK), FEBN(Denmark), FRCP (Edinburgh), MSCS (Multiple Sclerosis Certified Specialist) (CMSC-USA)
Consultant Neurologist, Movement disorder Specialist
- After completing MBBS from Calicut Medical College, Dr shyam did his MD in Internal Medicine from the Institute of National Importance, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research in India (JIPMER), Pondicherry where he was awarded Krishnaswami memorial Prize for the best outgoing resident.
- After this, he was awarded Diplomate of National board in Internal Medicine and Neurology examination conducted in PGI Chandigarh, and later was conferred Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences(MNAMS).
- Dr. Chandran completed his adult and Pediatric Neurology residency training from the Premier Institute for Neurosciences ,National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS),Bangalore after a competitive examination where he stood first at all india level entrance which is a tertiary neurological center for both adult and pediatric patients.
- Dr Shyam Babu Chandran pursued his further subspeciality training and completed a one year fellowship in Movement Disorders (Parkinsonism of related Disorders) from the prestigious SCTIMST, Trivandrum where he got trained in Deep Brain Stimulation and complicated Botox injections.
- Late he worked as a consultant in Neurology & movement disorders in an 800-bed super-specialty hospital in Coimbatore (KMCH), India and visiting consultant in a large subspecialty center for about 4 years before moving to UAE.
- Dr Shyam Babu Chandran joined Zulekha hospital and established tertiary neurological Care . Initiated Movement Disorders Practice and started Botox for chronic migraine patients and various neurological conditions like hemi facial spasm, Blepharospasm, Writers cramp, Spasticity and Cervical dystonia. He has done about 500 injections of Botox without any complications and has established Acute stroke care team lead by neurology-neurosurgery, Interventional radiologist and physiotherapist and has been doing IV thrombolysis, Mechanical thrombectomy and work up for carotid artery disease and stenting. He has started interventional headache therapies like occipital nerve blocks, and Botox for chronic migraine.
- Dr chandran has accomplished many distinguished fellowship from prestigious universities like Neurology specialty certificate (UK), Fellow ship of European board of Neurology (FEBN) from Copenhagen , Fellow of Royal college of Physicians of Edinburgh(FRCP) and Multiple Sclerosis certified Specialist.(USA)
- Neurotology , Vertigo assessment and rehabilitation and other tests for proper assessment and management
- Established standard of Neurology care for all neurological conditions including headache, epilepsy, Stroke, Vertigo and balance , Acute stroke, Multiple Sclerosis and other demyelinating disorders
- Management of Acute stroke/ Risk factor assessment and modification
- Vertigo and Balance disorders; Assessment and management
- Parkinsonism and Other Related Movement disorders
- Headache, Assessment and Therapies using scales
- Seizure and Epilepsy, First seizure, epilepsy evaluation
- Demyelinating disorders like Multiple Sclerosis and allied disorders
- Autoimmune neurological disorders
- Movement disorders
Research / Publications
- Basu D, Pathak D, Shyambabu C, Koner BC, Swaminathan RP Lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma with IgA paraproteinemia mimicking Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Indian J Pathol Microbial. 2004 Oct; 47(4):515-7.
- C. Shyambabu, S. Sinha, A.B. Taly, J. Vijayan , J.M.E. Kovoor Serum vitamin B12 deficiency and hyperhomocystinemia: A reversible cause of acute chorea, cerebellar ataxia in an adult with cerebral ischemia. J Neurol Sci. 2008 ; 152-154.
- C. Shyam Babu, P. Satishchandra, S. Sinha, D.K. Subbakrishna Co-morbidities in people living with epilepsy: Hospital based case–control study from a resource-poor setting .Epilepsy Research, 2009;86(2-3):146-52.
- Kulkarni GB ,Pal PK, Shyam babu C, Kovoor JM, Senthilkumar E. Osteopetrosis manifesting as recurrent bilateral facial palsy in childhood. Clinical Neurol Neurosurg 2011:113: 230-34
- Shyam Babu C, Satishchandra P, Mahadevan A, Pillai Shibu V, Ravishankar S, Sidappa N, Udaykumar R, Ravi V, Shankar SK. Usefulness of stereotactic biopsy and neuroimaging in management of HIV-1 Clade C associated focal brain lesions with special focus on cerebral toxoplasmosis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012 Nov 12.
- Asha Kishore, Traian Popa, Ammu Balachandran, Shyambabu Chandran, Salini Pradeep, Febina Backer , Syam Krishnan and Sabine Meunier. Cerebellar Sensory Processing Alterations Impact Motor Cortical Plasticity in Parkinson’s Disease: Clues from Dyskinetic Patients. Cerebral Cortex 2013;24;2055-2067
- Aaron de Souza, C. Shyam babu, Paresh K. Acute chorea in the diabetic nonketotic hyperosmolar state Basal Ganglia 2013;3(2);85.
- Shyam babu chandran, Syam Krishnan, Ravi Mohan Rao, S Gangadhara sarma, Sankara sarma, Asha kishore Gender influence on the selection and outcome of deep brain stimulation for parkinsons disease. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2014;17:66-70.